Ikou Era
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
IE Chatbox

[ Copy this | Start New | Full Size ]
Gallery
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Empty
Let's see how long this lasts.
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:29 am by Misuke
Hey all!

Been a while since I bothered posting here, since there was absolutely nothing I could do to revive the game from the state in which it was left. That has since changed, and I now have access to the means to better the game, and bring it to the state in which it was originally meant to be played.

I do hope regulars and newbies alike welcome the changes I plan to bring, and continue to …

Comments: 0
Ikou Era Apology
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 am by AllSmiles
Hello, faithful Ikou Era players. I am sorry for being so inactive to the production of Ikou Era, me slowing down with updates had affected all of us. I doubt, I can make it up for your patience and your unbreakable loyalty to someone that had been made by my brain. Ikou Era is my first original project and it is one of the most proudest work I had done, this project was the result of my …

Comments: 0
Latest topics
» Let's see how long this lasts.
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:29 am by Misuke

» Hosting of Ikou
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 9:27 am by Misuke

» Places, Housing, Combat, etc.
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 9:07 am by slash124cool

» What the phock
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeFri May 03, 2013 7:22 am by arato

» Suggestions
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 am by Anonymous Samurai

» The Shogun of Edo
The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 am by Anonymous Samurai

The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Geeky Panda
Citizen
Citizen
Geeky Panda

PostSubject: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen this is Geeky Panda, and i'm bringing you what I hope to be a very helpful and informative guide on a confusing thing for newcomers. Roleplay.
----------------------------------------------------------------
First off, Roleplaying with many people on specific games will be different every time. For Ikou Era, I will try and tell you the difference at the end of this guide. Since you are all too lazy to click the 'Help' button, i'll take the liberty of giving you the in-game hotkeys.
-------------------------------------------------------------
N = Talk, Speak, Say. (People just a bit farther than your screen.)
H = The most important one. Emote. (Same as Speak, except an action.)
M = Shout. (People a lot farther than your screen.)
W = Whisper. (Only people up to a block away can hear you.)
J = OOC, or, Out of Character. Everyone can hear this, and it is -you- speaking when you use this verb. Not your character.
Now, when you're roleplaying. You want to be able to place yourself in the eyes and ears of the character you are playing. That being said, let's make a character for you to jump into! Do you have a particular background suitable for a character in this time period?(Japan, 1500-1600's) Alright then. Let's put some detail into it. Be sure to keep it realistic. Nobody has super powers in this life. So, does your character have a suitable background story? Do you think it was detailed enough? Good. Be sure to use proper spelling, capitalization, and grammar. Pick a name for your character now. Have you done that? Now go on to try and paint a picture for other players of how they look, feel, and act. Remember, when roleplaying with others, you want everybody to get a fair chance at the lime-light. When you do this all correctly, make sure not to mess up anywhere, yet it -is- okay to make a mistake. We all make them some time or another. Be sure to do your best! Use this to help you along the way. You're an author, and your fellow writers want to create two books of the same story from different points of view. Paint a picture with your words!
A quick tip, guys. A roleplayer can step into any character. A great roleplayer can make them come to life with their own personalities, turning them into more than just a character, but their own seperate person. Thanks to Prince for reminding me of this.
Now. All paintings and works of art in the form of literature need some guidelines. Here are some basic rules to help you know what would be right and what would be wrong.

- Be sure to Keep OUT OF CHARACTER MATTERS, Away from the IN CHARACTER portion of the game. This will keep many undesirable things to happen in the roleplay.

- Don't bring IN CHARACTER MATTERS TO OUT OF CHARACTER, EITHER. Sorry for yelling, it's in my nature.

- Don't write -for- the other roleplayer. Let them pick their own destinations in the course of the roleplay.

- If you really want some roleplay to kick off.. Start some!

- If there is an arguement where neither party is coming over a conclusion, talk to a moderator or an administrator about it. They'll help "Calm" it down.

- Be -realistic- with your roleplaying, guys. Please, it helps us all, and it's better for the community.

- Follow every single one of the pre-specified rules that WERE NOT SPECIFIED HERE. THANK YOU.

- Don't go against the Ikou rules, if anyone that was reading didn't understand the prior message.
That was the Geekiest Roleplaying Guide out there, brought to you by Geeky himself. I really hope to bring in some examples soon, and I will be rolling them out over time. Send one to me in a PM if you want it up here for all to admire and stare in awe. Or to be ridiculed. Either way, I hope to see some roleplaying examples that are from within the game.
Tips.
On-Topic: Nice guide, but I'd like to see it say that the Say channel must not be used for thinking or actions (some people do that), but that the emote channel can be used for that. So the emote channel CAN be used like the say channel, but the say channel CAN'T be used like the emote channel.
A lot of people fail to understand that.. ~ Marti, thanks for the quick little reminder.
Examples.
****, **** removes a small steel hammer from inside the folds of his pants, which had been strapped inside one of the pockets, in a specially made spot to hold it in place unless he removed it in the proper way. With a practice toss the hammer was in the air, a small iron bar being lifted up onto the anvil.. The feminine looking mans right hand raising and catching the hammer as it descended, using the momentum to strike the metal, causing sparks to be let off. The long, tedious process of hammering the softened metal began.

Each stroke of the hammer caused the metal to flatten, slowly being turned into a thin sheet of iron. Sweat was already starting to drip down the feminine boys face, the metal being slowly folded over onto itself. When it was folded over once, the hammer crashed down, hammering it together so that the fold would be clean and sharp. Soon enough a second and third fold followed, hammering each into place with several clean strikes.

So, this process continued as the boys fingers worked nimbly to fold the metal, and his right hand struck down with the hammer at various angles to properly seal the metal together. All the while, the metal was starting to cool due to the fact that it was no longer exposed to the heat of the forge. The folding process taking shape slowly, the single bar starting to take the shape of a small metal blade, sharp and precise.

Almost as if it was an after thought, a small chisel was taken from beside the forge and the process of engraving something into the metal began, while it was still soft enough to work with. Precise strokes of the hammer on the chisel started to carve his message into the small blade, until at last it was done, a single word carved into the daggers blade. 'Tranquility' was all it read, the blade being set aside as he removed a handle which had been made prior to, a small dagger handle made of iron, wrapped in a rough cloth. The process of fitting the two together being rather simple, merging the two and bonding them in such a way that they would not break easily.

The process was at least completed, the boy dripping sweat as he allowed his right hand to droop, sliding the hammer back into its designated pocket. A single finger running across the blunt side of the dagger, marveling in how smooth it was.. A truly fine blade, at least, to be created at the hands of such a novice.

Last edited by Geeky Panda on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 19, 2011 8:25 am

lol about the roleplaying, i ussually try to rp mixing up personalities with my Ic char, so actually i can suffers as much as he does, though i wish i had more vocabulary or knew to write sized and good qualitys rp faster
Back to top Go down
Geeky Panda
Citizen
Citizen
Geeky Panda

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 pm

slash124cool wrote:
lol about the roleplaying, i ussually try to rp mixing up personalities with my Ic char, so actually i can suffers as much as he does, though i wish i had more vocabulary or knew to write sized and good qualitys rp faster

1. That's your own style of doing it, no shame in that.

2. Practice makes perfect.

3. Try and memorize what needs to be, and what doesn't need to be done while you're typing for faster, quicker, and possibly better responses.
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 12:15 pm

yeah well afterall i have just one year rping , the grammar has to do with my keyboard, since its to small
Back to top Go down
Geeky Panda
Citizen
Citizen
Geeky Panda

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 1:01 pm

That has little to no effect on your actual skill. Take the time to revise everything before posting and -then-, we can blame it on the keyboard.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Guardsman
Guardsman
Phoenix

IC Profile
IC Name: Phoe Baraoh

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:09 am

I've met people who have been "RPing" for over 3 years and are absolutely terrible at it. Likewise, I've met those who have only been doing it for a few months, and are amazing. It's just what comes naturally to you.
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:55 am

yeah well its accepted that people is talented, but those who arent has to learn from experience, sometimes a little guide or help from good rpers wouldnt be bad since it would be nice to have some sort of teacher and i would be happy to know, if any of you could help me.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Guardsman
Guardsman
Phoenix

IC Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm

The best teacher is yourself. Just learn from experience, as you said. You'll do just fine.
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 2:00 pm

lol, i trusted on myself and didnt went very fine D: as you see and i told it was a years since i started, and i still make the same mistake size its not my problem but the complexity of the rp and its overall grammar.
Back to top Go down
Geeky Panda
Citizen
Citizen
Geeky Panda

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 am

3. Try and memorize what needs to be, and what doesn't need to be done while you're typing for faster, quicker, and possibly better responses.
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:38 am

Geeky Panda wrote:
solves grammar, yet im looking more into its complexity meaning, making it looks more professional. all i know is that it has to be written like a script would do, but that didnt helped much.
Back to top Go down
Geeky Panda
Citizen
Citizen
Geeky Panda

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 10:48 am

slash124cool wrote:
Geeky Panda wrote:
solves grammar, yet im looking more into its complexity meaning, making it looks more professional. all i know is that it has to be written like a script would do, but that didnt helped much.

That alone makes it look more professional, if you haven't taken the time to notice. If you want more meaning in your writing, then you should start to think in ways more creative to your roleplaying, writing, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Guardsman
Guardsman
Phoenix

IC Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:34 am

I recommend a Thesaurus, if you have a problem thinking of more expressive words.
Back to top Go down
slash124cool
Vagrant
Vagrant
slash124cool

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:18 pm

i really dont know how to explain what i lack in complexity, its just i dont feel the same when starting or ending phrases as pro rpers do. perhaps ill have to show you in-game
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Guardsman
Guardsman
Phoenix

IC Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 8:09 am

Maybe, when it comes back up.
Back to top Go down
Martienader2
Vagrant
Vagrant
Martienader2

IC Profile
IC Name: [ADM] Martienader

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am

Phoenix wrote:
I've met people who have been "RPing" for over 3 years and are absolutely terrible at it. Likewise, I've met those who have only been doing it for a few months, and are amazing. It's just what comes naturally to you.
Must I feel insulted or is it someone else whom you're referring to?

On-Topic: Nice guide, but I'd like to see it say that the Say channel must not be used for thinking or actions (some people do that), but that the emote channel can be used for that. So the emote channel CAN be used like the say channel, but the say channel CAN'T be used like the emote channel.
A lot of people fail to understand that..
Back to top Go down
Phoenix
Guardsman
Guardsman
Phoenix

IC Profile

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Don't worry, it isn't you. Believe it or not, there are worse RPers out there. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.   The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Geekiest Basic Roleplay Guide out there.
Page 1 of 1